Save Darfur’s ’08 990: A Top 10 List
10. GetActive Software, Inc. – $118,537. This software service allows SDC to send millions of emails, most of which are never opened.
9. Professional fundraising fees – $258,931. These are the people they pay to raise them money. I wonder what the return on investment was?
8. Accounting fees - $101,311. Remember, pissing away tens of millions of dollars requires some minimal accounting.
7. Telephone – $76,580. Wanna guess who they bought their phone service from? M&R Strategic Services, one of their biggest and most influential consultants. Anyone wanna take bets on what portion of this is M&R’s “service fee” and which part is for actual service from Verizon?
6. Postage and shipping – $162,296. And they sure ain’t sending supplies to Darfur!
5. Occupancy – $187,754. And guess who they rented their office space from! Did you say M&R? Exactement! C’est vrai, mon ami! (That’s French for “Darn tootin’, y’all!”) See, you’re getting the hang of it…
4. Travel – $1,025,438. One MILLION dollars?! Sweet sassy molassy! Probably for all their international work. Too bad they have almost no influence internationally. (Damn, Johnnie Walker Blue must be getting more expensive in airport lounges the world over. DAMN YOU, GLOBAL RECESSION!)
3. Temporary help – $77,033. They could have hired a mid-level staffer for that! Or two low-level staffers!
2. Advertising – $896,088. Did you see any SDC ads in 2008? Neither did I.
1. Their Top 5 Highest Paid Consultants – $1,972,817. Ah yes. The people who really make all the money.